Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Ata Sicence experiment

Science experiment:

Question: What will happen to the sound if I cut the straw shorter and blow through it?

Links to research about Sound:

Hypothesis: (What do you think will happen?) e.g. I think that there would be different sounds. The sound will be higher pitched.

Materials needed: scissors, straw

Experiment (procedure):
e.g. Step 1 -  crease straw 2-3cm on one end

Step 2 -   cut the creased end of the straw into a triangle shape.

Step 3 -  Listen to the sound it makes and  record

Step 4 -  cut the straw shorter

Step 5 - blow on cut end, listen and record

Data (What happened?) straw length:
Long 15cm
makes a sound
10cm
sound was higher
5cm
sound was more high pitched.

Observations: My straw was 15cm long when I cut my straw into a triangle I blew it right away my lips felt numb and the noise of the straw was loud and a bit deep. When I made it smaller by cutting it to 10cm there was a different sound . Then I cut it to 5cm it was way different to the other two . So from 15cm it was deep form 10cm it was a bit higher and from 5cm it was higher than 10cm.

Conclusion: My Hypothesis was right because the shorter I cut the straw the higher pitched the sound got.

No comments:

Post a Comment